Sunday, February 22, 2009

People are People


On the Jukebox: "Take My Life" by Scott McLean
Mood: Calm
Quote: "Everything we do is so wholesome!" ~ Roman Holiday
Flair: If you feed them they will come...


Today I was pondering what it is about certain people that makes me curious about them. There are some individuals who stick out of the crowd because of their eccentricities. I'm always trying to figure out what makes people tick. For example: what possessed the lady I saw at Costco on Friday to wear a parka, scarf, and gloves with apple green flip flops? Why do some of the women in my ward dress impeccably but never inspect what their kids are wearing before they leave the house? Why am I so interested in what other people are thinking?

Perhaps it's because I like to make up little stories to explain their idiosyncrasies. Through my observations I've come to conclude that most people have really kind hearts and good intentions. Almost without exception I can label my closest friends as goodie goodies. They have varying degrees of likability and cuteness factors but over all they are good people who make the world a better place because they get out of bed every morning and look for opportunities to serve others.

It often surprises me to discover that these friends were not extremely popular in school. Each of them excel in some way or another. Each is a good person who contributes to society. Some are funny, others are somber, some are outgoing while others are calm. I like the way each is like a piece of a puzzle that when assembled gives a better picture of who I am. My friends bring out my good qualities. My enemies bring out my weaknesses so it is definitely better for me to surround myself with positive people who supply inspiration. Good people tend to see the good in others so even when I am not at my best they give me the benefit of a doubt. I like that good people understand that being human means having things we struggle to overcome. I like that they cheer for others to succeed. I adore that they offer prayers in behalf of those who need assistance. I am grateful to associate with the cream of the crop.

No comments: