Sunday, February 15, 2009

No Rest For the Wicked


On the Jukebox: "Onward Christian Soldiers" by Stretch Armstrong
Mood: Okay
Quote: "Butts are for chairs pal." ~ The R.M.
Flair: Ask for Directions


I've been pondering the scriptures a lot lately and have come to a strange conclusion: people are idiots! It seems we don't learn from history and are doomed to repeat the same mistakes that others have made even though we've been warned about them time and again. I look at our current political situation and see the pattern repeated in the Book of Mormon with the judges and the kingmen. We are destined to reap what we sow. It makes sense. You can't plant potato seeds and expect pumpkins.

In watching the news lately I see another truth: the wicked take the truth to be hard. I am amazed at how even when the Governor of Illinois was caught on tape attempting to take a bribe for the open Senate seat, he claims he is being misrepresented and that he is *gasp* innocent. He ravels off a list of justifications for his actions. I see the same thing when I watch reality TV show clips. I find it amazing how quickly the attacks turn venomous on those who are speaking the truth or trying to correct wrong doers. I was listening to talk radio the other day and was surprised to hear that over 87% of teachers have been threatened with a law suit for trying to keep order and academic honesty in their classrooms. I am willing to bet that 30 years ago this wouldn't have been the case. Parents defend their children even when they know their kids are guilty because they are trying to avoid the embarrassment of failing in their parental duties. Why are we allowing the wicked to dictate what is socially correct?

Here's something I think is ironic. The prophet Isaiah warned that there would be no rest for the wicked, but he also failed to mention that the righteous wouldn't be hanging out on clouds playing harps and eating Philly cream cheese on bagels. I used to look forward to death because I could use a good dirt nap. I never seem to get enough sleep (hmm, perhaps I need to repent of something..?)any way I was beginning to think of death as a hammock strung between two palm trees on a tropical beach. Then I read that the righteous would be busy on the other side of the veil working to get ready for the second coming and such. Eventually when judgement day comes and goes I understand we get a holiday or something. In the meantime, I'll bide my time here where at least I don't have to work 24-7.

No comments: