Friday, February 27, 2009

The Circle of Life


On the Jukebox: "White and Nerdy" by Weird Al
Mood: Groovy
Quote: "It has been suggested that Stephen Hawking stole his Brief History of Time from my fourth-grade paper." ~ Legally Blonde
Flair: Rochambeau


Paul Hawken said, "Everything is connected... no one thing can change by itself."

Is that true? I haven't been able to decide. I will agree that there is a certain order in the universe and that the laws of nature are finite. However, I believe that a single human can undergo change that need not involve or impact on a colony of fire ants in Zimbabwe. I also believe that removing cows (which supposedly cause global warming by emitting high levels of carbon monoxide) from the circle of life would have the same devastating result as introducing kudzu was to the southern states.

I'm not saying that campaigning for environmental awareness is bad. I'm saying that those who take up such a cause should educate themselves thoroughly on facts not political dogma. It's hard to stand in the way of progress, but so many activists try anyway. It infuriated me to learn that protesters halted the construction of the Luling Bridge/ Interstate 310 off ramp because of some supposedly "endangered" frog. (Why are these new, endangered, or exclusive species always discovered near human infrastructure projects and not some remote jungle?) The bridge was complete but the exit would traverse the frog's swampy home. It took almost ten years for the state to do a study and complete that two mile section of road. What was the result? The frog was thriving because the road improved the resources of the marsh area and now the frog was considered as plentiful and bothersome as the Biblical plague.

I understand that the universe is made up of the same molecular matter; tiny neutrons, quarks, leptons, and such. I understand that the energy and life force that powers each of us is from God. I can see the spiritual connection between all of His creations. In that aspect I am willing to admit a connection between everything. Yet, I believe that as individuals we were given agency. No one and nothing can force us to change. It is a decision we must come to on our own. There are influencing factors, but it is ultimately up to us to decide the outcome of such forces. Does witnessing injustice cause us to become callous and cruel or do we become a crusader or do we continue to lead our same quiet lives? The choice is entirely ours. Since I have a busy day ahead of me I'm going to leave this thought unfinished and visit it again another time.

I took a walk alone last night
I looked up at the stars
To try and find an answer in my life
I chose a star for me
I chose a star for him
I chose two stars for my kids and one star for my wife
Something made me smile
Something seemed to ease the pain
Something about the universe and how it's all connected

~ Sting

No comments: