Thursday, February 19, 2009

My Blessing


On the Jukebox: "Happiness Comes to My House" by Spencer the Gardner
Mood: Bueno
Quote: "The dishes are done, man!" ~ Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead
Flair: A wish for you


A blessing, (also used to refer to bestowing of such) is the infusion of something with holiness, divine will, or one's hopes. I believe that most of us are familiar with the popular Irish Blessing:

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.


I love the sentiments expressed in it. Such generous thoughts should be articulated aloud to those we love. It is my hope to someday be able to express a blessing to each of the people who have touched my life for good. Some would be poignant, others funny, but each blessing would be custom fit to the situation. That's what I admire about the Irish poets who wrote such blessings for marriages, births, and funerals. Here's one I wrote for my former coworkers at UOP which I call the O-Town Blessing:

May the road always be clear on your commute through the bottle neck.
May the wind be always from the Wonderbread factory & not the dog food plant.
May your students be critical thinkers, financially secure, & computer savvy.
May the possessed East elevator door not hit you on the way out. Donk!
May you always remember me fondly until we meet again somewhere in Act IV.


Obviously this one has a lot of private jokes in it but it also communicates a sense of fond remembrance of said coworkers. Any O-Town employee can tell you what a dog food day is and how much better it was when the delicious smell of baking bread wafted on the air.

A friend shared this glurge with me entitled "I wish you enough." It communicated a wish that has been handed down from other generations through a family. When they said 'I wish you enough,' they wanted the other person to have a life filled with just enough good things to sustain them.

I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright.
I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun more.
I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive.
I wish you enough pain so that the smallest joys in life appear much bigger.
I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.
I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.
I wish enough "Hello's" to get you through the final "Goodbye."


Touching, no? Well, I didn't cry because I'm fairly heartless and able to resist crying over glurge and E.T. and other such things but don't show me certain TV commericals or Disney movies. I like songs that express the sentiments of blessings. One example would be Elton John's "Blessed":

And you, you'll be blessed
You'll have the best
I promise you that
I'll pick a star from the sky
Pull your name from a hat
I promise you that, promise you that, promise you that
You'll be blessed


But my favorite is "The Blessing" performed by Celtic Woman, Lisa Kelly. Until I have time to write all my blessings I hope that the words of this particular song will be an acceptable substitute.




I bless you
And you bless me, too

No comments: