Monday, February 2, 2009

Cosmic Mulligan



On the Jukebox: "Ready to Take a Chance Again" by Barry Manilow
Mood: Can I have a do-over?
Quote: "Winter, slumbering in the open air, wears on its smiling face a dream... of spring."
Flair: Don't Drive Angry!


Mulligan: a second chance; in a game, happens when a player gets a second chance to perform a certain move or action. An unpenalized chance to re-take a stroke that went awry.

I remember seeing the movie "Groundhog Day" in the theater the year it came out. It's one of my all time favorite movies. It made we wish for two things simultaneously. The first was that I could have a magical 6 weeks to learn the piano or a foreign language or whatever without having to worry about daily responsibilities. The second was for an annual cosmic mulligan every February 2nd. Basically, you would get a free do-over of whatever idiotic thing you did in the past year.

I'm not exactly sure what I would do over each year, but I'm sure there'd be something. Maybe it would be something little like forgetting to check to make sure I was hitting the 'forward' button instead of the 'reply' to button before making some snarky comment on an email. Doh! (yes, I've actually done that one with a former boss but she thought it was funny.) or maybe it would be packing lighter so my luggage doesn't get fined or remembering to get my car serviced before the transmission goes. You get the idea...

Everyone has some sort of regret that they wish they could remedy. Wouldn't a cosmic mulligan be a good solution?

No comments: