Saturday, February 28, 2009

Cartoons - the best brain rotter of all time!


On the Jukebox: "Tubthumping" by Chumbawamba
Mood: Okay
Quote: "Remember how I used to call you 'lamb chop'? And then you would call me 'liver snap'?" ~ Cats and Dogs
Flair: Marc Anthony and Pussyfoot


When I was a kid I loved Saturday mornings because it was the one day of the week when there were cartoons on TV for hours. Kids these days are so spoiled! There are entire networks devoted to cartoons. There are cartoons in prime time and cartoons made for toddlers (Little Bear) and some made just for adults (SpaceGhost, Flintstones, and Futurama). Most cartoons are still nothing more than thinly disguised toy advertisements. About once a year a full length feature film would come out that was animated. That was a big deal in my family. It seems like some kid movie comes out every month and at least half of them are not live action. But are these cartoons good for us?

Unfortunately, not many of these cartoons have a good influence on children. My family was not allowed to watch Looney Toons when we were growing up because as small children my brother Josh, hit me over the head with my dad's guitar. He was imitating Speedy Gonzales. I still remember it so clearly. My mother said, "Monkey see, monkey do, no more Looney Toons for you!" It was also cartoons that taught us to call each other stupid names. To say the least, my mother was not a fan and limited our time and content.

On weekdays we watched Inspector Gadget, GI Joe, Voltron, and He-Man. On Saturdays, it was Smurfs, Kidd Video, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Scooby Doo, Carebears, The Getalong Gang, Transformers, and more. The 90's brought new classics such as Recess, Sailor Moon, Doug, Yugi-O, Power Puff Girls, Animaniacs, Johnny Bravo, X-Men, Hey Arnold, Rugrats, The Simpsons, 2 Stupid Dogs,and Dexter's Laboratory. This decade I'm a fan of Phineas and Ferb, Sponge Bob,and Dave the Barbarian.

Why am I telling you this? It explains a lot about my warped sense of humor and cocked eyed outlook on life. It also shows that I prefer the simpler times of childhood. I don't cringe nearly as much when watching program rated Y7 as I do when I watch other Television programs. Besides - even shows meant for really young kids have jokes that are a nod to the parents who are watching with their kids. I like getting the inside jokes.

PS: My favorite Merrie Melody of all time is "Feed the Kitty" starring Marc Antony and Pussyfoot.

No comments: