Thursday, March 19, 2009

Trapezoid Lids


On the Jukebox: "My All" by Mariah Carey
Quote: "There's someone for everyone, even if you need a pick axe, a compass, and night goggles to find them." ~ L.A. Story
Flair: Suave


I have a friend who is exceptional in every way. She's intelligent, beautiful, successful, and virtuous. She is also astonishingly single and at 28 years old, reaching the range of Jane Austen spinsterhood. In her own words she claims she is a trapezoid pot who can't find her lid (this based on the saying that there is a lid for every pot.)

What's good about being lidless? Well, lots of things actually. Let's start with the word lidless - it means watchful or vigilant (as in not closing your eye lids.) Shouldn't we always be on the look out for every good thing? So often we let opportunities pass us by because we have blinders on. Being lidless can also be mind opening.

So what's good about being 28 and single? I can't tell you since I was betrothed in the womb and have been married more than half my life now. But I have some theories. For starters, you have the means and opportunity to travel, the ability to set your own hours, start your own traditions, and not have to consult or compromise with someone before taking action. In additional you have the time to develop into your true self through education and experience. Most of us evolve under the influence of our life partner, just as they adapt themselves to our natures. Imagine being more fully formed and self-aware when you actually meet your future spouse.

How attractive is that? And what sort of person would you attract? Chances are they are also a trapezoid. Or perhaps you are so self-aware that you discover you are not really a trapezoid but a parallelogram or an oval. Or maybe you're not a pot but a pan, wok, or kettle. As for myself, I was never a pan. I've always thought of myself more as a crock pot. Insert witty comments here.

No comments: