Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sports Talk (haha)


On the Jukebox: "Breathe Your Name" by Sixpence None the Richer
Quote: "Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb." ~ Spaceballs
Flair: In a pickle


So what to talk about today? How about those Dodgers? No? I'm not buying it either... I am so not a sports girl! That is unless you count watching Ballroom dance competitions and the occasional figure skating routine. Sometimes I watch soccer games, but they just make me feel bad about myself. I have no motivation to run back and forth chasing a ball, but those guys are fast, furious, and amazingly agile. I've got to give them props for their athletic abilities.

Now ironically, the girl who hates to watch actual sports games enjoys movies about sports. Especially if it is about underdogs, teamwork, or such. Some of my favorites include: Remember the Titans, The Sandlot, Rudy, The Endless Summer, Field of Dreams, Cinderella Man, The Cutting Edge, Rocky, Ice Castles, A League of Their Own, The Karate Kid, and Bend It Like Beckham. I think that even though these are sports movies they go back to universal themes like having heart, practicing good sportsmanship, and enjoying the game.

I know most people would have a hard time believing this but I used to play sports. I was on a basketball team, a volleyball team, and a softball team. I played on church teams and also on a city league. I never went out for sports in school because I learned quickly that I was not girl jock material. When I played on the Mimosa Mustangs I was the best bench warmer in the league because the coaches never took time to help me get better at throwing or batting. Whatever! I think the worse sport I ever undertook was tennis. I totally lacked the coordination for it. Golf is a close second even though I'm not too bad at miniature golf.

I much preferred to roller skate, swim, and ride my bike to get the exercise I needed. Now I prefer to walk, swim, or use the elliptical. Occasionally I still ride my bike (it's been two years now because I'm too lazy to fill the tires with air.) Someday I will use my workout DVDs again. I feel a bit self-conscious when my cats watch me do the Latin dance workouts. Not to mention the music is terrible! I'd rather do jumping jacks in an elevator than put up with that noise for more than 10 minutes. Maybe that's why the DVDs are called 10 Minute Express Workouts...

No comments: