Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Echoes of Stories Never Told


On the Jukebox: "I Have Dreamed" by Matt Monroe
Quote: "Toe Pick!" ~ The Cutting Edge
Flair: 6th Sense


The curse of being a writer is that one is simultaneously sane and crazy all at once. I identified with the little boy, Cole, in the movie "The Sixth Sense" because I understand what it's like to see and hear people that aren't there for others. He saw dead people and I see fictional ones.

I am so well acquainted with various characters that I've created that I can carry on complete conversations with them inside my head. Often times these are interviews aimed at getting to the heart of their motivations but just as frequently, I find I visit with them because I like them and find them interesting. I won't excuse their weaknesses or rude manners, but I try to overlook them. I also try to overlook the fact that they often wake me up in the middle of the night and deprive me of sleep.

Like Cole, I've discovered the way to get ghosts or fictional characters to leave you alone is to find out what they want. My head echoes with the stories never told. Only when I write them down do I find peace. Until words are on paper these characters haven't lived. It's like being a ghost in reverse. I am a speaker for the not yet living that will breath life into their pages and then send them to haunt others. It's a pretty good life.

1 comment:

Faith said...

the characters that you create, if you're a good writer, grow out of the seed of an idea and develop into living breathing beings. i've been known to see an outfit in a store and say how cute that would look on one of my characters. i also find it really frustrating when one of them sits on his/her backside and won't move until the story is adjusted in such a way that remains true to that character.