Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Toast to my Green-eyed Lap Dragon


On the Jukebox: "Carrickfergus" by Orla Fallon
Quote: "Fairyland was never like this!" ~ Finian's Rainbow
Flair: 'Tis the Season


It's St. Patrick's day, a silly holiday that is observed more in the United States than anywhere else. It's basically an excuse for college kids and bored adults to get plastered and act like asses. I often think of a SNL spoof where the words to "Wonderland" are changed to "Nobody here's from Ireland" to mark the fact that the original purpose of the holiday has lost its context.

Do I wear green on St. Patrick's day? Sometimes if that particular shirt is up in my closet rotation. I don't do it consciously. I'm pretty much pinch proof because I've taken RAD training and will give a stranger what-for if he touches my caboose. What do I celebrate on March 17th? My cat's birthday. My Tamsen cat has bright green eyes. I think she might have chose them just for the irony. (She has questionable taste.)

She's the worst dressed calico I've ever seen. Her socks are mismatched which along with the striped tail and opposite ear colors gives her the look of a Harlequin doll. I wanted to call her Harley but she wouldn't have it. So she's my freckled nose, bristle banded, mismatched sock wearing, green eyed lap dragon supreme. She has the loudest purr of any cat I've ever had. We have all sorts of nick names for her based on her quirks. My favorite is her indian name "Thinks-shes-people" This year she's 15. It sort of weirds me out to know if she was a kid she'd be bugging me for a laptop, cell phone, and more allowance. I guess I should be grateful that all she wants is her own helping of 'good stuff' and a few extra kitty cookies.

No comments: